Sunday, March 7, 2021

Flanken Short Ribs

They were on sale. 30% off regular price.

I went for it, not knowing how to cook them or what they were even called.

What they are is Korean cross-cut short ribs aka: Flanken.

I love short ribs and I figured this can't be too different, since it is the same meat. Looking forward to eating them in a few minutes. I am sure they will not disappoint.

Flanken Short Ribs (click for the recipe from How to BBQ Right)

3lbs Flanken Cut Beef Short Ribs (cross-cut)
½ Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tablespoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1 teaspoon Spanish Paprika
1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
½ teaspoon Chipotle Pepper
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

Instructions

Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl, stir, and pour into a shaker or seasoning dredge.

Apply generous coat of dry rub mixture to all sides of Flanken cut Short Ribs and pat gently.

Prepare grill for direct grilling at 350-400 degrees. Any type of grill can be used for this recipe.

Arrange short rib pieces on cooking grate and cook for 35-40 minutes turning often. Short Rib pieces should be well browned on all sides.

Cook until the outside is caramelized moving around the cooking surface as needed.

Serve family style with your favorite sides and pickled items.

2 comments:

  1. Rarely can I find these for a reasonable price. I don't care which way they're cut, I love 'em. I can smoke them, grill them, roast them, even put them in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The price is definitely not cheap, but I do like them, too. BTW the first time I had them was at your house, back in 2013. Worth the money, once in a while. This recipe was good, but it overcooks the meat. Not sure I would ever buy the cut again.

    ReplyDelete