I saw a recipe on The Pioneer Woman's Website recently for White Chicken Enchiladas. Unfortunately for me, she tends to deal in cream and butter and I was not into that. But the thought of enchiladas without that yucky red sauce intrigued me. I had 36 corn tortillas in the house and so my mind started to work on the problem.
I came up with using evaporated milk, instead of the cream. I don't know if I gained anything by doing it, but it felt better. :-)
Instead of the red sauce, I used green enchilada sauce, which I mixed into the condensed milk and when heated, I added a handful of grated cheese and stirred until it melted. It seemed to be the right consistency, so I think this will work out.
24 Corn Tortilla's
1 - 28 Oz Can Green Enchilada Sauce
1 - 7 oz Can Diced Green Chiles
1 Can Evaporated Milk
4 Chicken Breasts (or whatever)
1 Onion
Grated Cheese (my cheese was a Cheddar, Monterrey Jack blend
In frying pan, cook the chicken up in a little water. While it is cooking, add the diced onion and can of chiles Cook until the chicken is done and while cooking or after, shred it or cut it, so it is in small pieces.
Heat up the tortilla's in the microwave for maybe 1 minute. Just until they are warm and pliable. You might want to do them in small groups.
Place a scoop of the mixture onto the warm tortilla and roll it. Then place into your pan. Continue until you run out of the tortillas and mixture.
While you are doing this, you can add right into the same frying pan that you just used, the can of evaporated milk and the enchilada sauce. Mix and heat on medium. When it starts to get warm, add 2 handfuls of cheese. Maybe half a cup worth.
Melt it and let it continue to warm for a few more minutes. You do not have to bring it to a boil. When the enchiladas are ready to be put into the oven, pour the mixture onto them evenly and then put a little more cheese over the top, just for color. Place into a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until they start to brown around the edges.
Serve immediately.
If you would like to see The Pioneer Woman's version of the same recipe, click this link...Chicken Enchiladas.
Oh yum! That sounds GREAT.
ReplyDeleteThanks Fran. For some reason I am in a cooking mood this week. Maybe because I haven't been able to cook since before our Washington, DC trip.
ReplyDeleteGina: I thought you would be happy. lol
ReplyDeleteOoooohhhh! Sounds delicious! You know, of course, that I'm using Morningstar Farms "CHIK'IN" in place of the real stuff...
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for dinner. THanks for sharing!
Cindy: I would expect nothing less from you. Good weekend, my "veggie" friend.
ReplyDeleteChicken enchiladas in green sauce (enchiladas suizas) are about my favorite Mexican dish. I never would have thought of using evaporated milk (I'm afraid I usually mix the sauce with sour cream :)), but that was a brilliant substitution! Will try it very soon. (You'll probably laugh at this, but one thing I do miss about L.A. is the ready availability of great Mexican -- and Thai -- food!)
ReplyDeleteYep, NY, though better then it was, is still not fab on decent Mexican food.
ReplyDeleteI love thai food, too. Especially just down Hollywood Blvd in Thai Town.
Oh, I don't know if you remember this place, but on Virgil and Fountain we just lost Eatin' High (my formally favorite Thai restaurant) and of all things Pioneer Chicken right across the street here on Sunset.
WHAT? Eatin'High? GONE? The source of endless, endless jokes between my friends Peter, Jeff and me.
ReplyDeleteI am bereft. I never did eat there though.
And Pioneer Chicken?
Surely signs of the food-copalypse!
Fran: Back in my days working productions, we would go their quite often, because they served "adult" beverages and someone in our group wanted one. Chicken Noodles was my favorite there. Sorry to see it go.
ReplyDeletePioneer Chicken (AKA Dead Chicken) was brought over for our Pledge volunteers and crew many many years in the 80's. No great loss, in my book.