Sunday, November 18, 2007

Tis the Season for...Cranberries!


In the angel house, the Thanksgiving season is more then just Turkey Day. I didn't know it when I began dating my future husband, but he is known to family and friends alike as the guest who brings cranberry sauce to the Thanksgiving table. He would make cranberry sauce from scratch, back in the 70's, when (at least in my house) we were traditionally served canned jell stuff, that tasted like...uh...a can. This man, who had lived alone for many, many years was a master cranberry sauce maker. Who knew?
The first holiday together, my new boyfriend drives me to Phoenix Arizona for the Thanksgiving feast and he brings along his homemade cranberry sauce. I was amazed, but being an East Coast girl, I thought this was the norm. When we got to our destination, I found out that his army buddy friend and his family, didn't know how to make homemade sauce, either. He did eventually show them how. Good thing he did, because our friends first child grew into a cranberryaholic. Eating at least half the sauce on more Thanksgivings then I want to talk about. It became a running joke in both families, especially since we celebrated over 20 Thanksgivings together. Our friends son now lives in NY and must either miss eating it, or he learned how to do it himself.
We even have a bushel of craneberries holiday ornament that hangs on our tree each Christmas season. A nod to my husband and his unusual cooking skill.

I love that man. :-)

========

Photo is of this years cranberry sauce.

---------------------------------------------------------
I was asked on a board I hang out at, to post the recipe. My answer follows.

Jeepmom: Sure, no problem. It's on the Oceanspray cranberry bag, with a slight difference.

Buy a bag of cranberries (hopefully Oceanspray)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 cups of cranberries (or one normal size package)

Stir the water and sugar together, add the washed and rinsed cranberries and bring it to a boil. Lower heat and cover, cook for 10 minutes. When finished give it 2 squirts of lemon juice. and then let cool a bit. Pour into a container and refrigerate. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment