Monday, March 3, 2008

Apple Hash


I saw this recipe a year ago on the Max Martini Board. It was posted by a member, Arctic Fox and I thought it sounded easy and good to eat, but I didn't remember to make it, at the time. It got mentioned on a board I currently hang out at, this past Sunday and since I was going shopping and normally get hash brown potatoes, I decided to pick up a few apples and make this. I made one change to the recipe. I added about a teaspoon or so of cinnamon to the mixture, to add a little omph to the apple taste. It came out great. It can be served at any meal, as a side dish.


Apple Hash (Arctic Fox)

2 large Idaho potatoes (or half a bag of hash browns)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
2 tablespoons butter
2 small, soft apples, such as McIntosh, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper
Prick potatoes several times each with a fork and microwave on high for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool potatoes until you can handle them and chop.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil and butter. Add apples and onions and cook 5 minutes, add potatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Crisp and brown the potatoes with apples and onions 5 minutes more, then serve.

5 comments:

  1. Please pass the apple hash. Your's looks delicious! Bob is always surprised when I add the apples, but always very happy I did. Yesterday, I put shredded cheddar cheese in (like apple pie with cheese).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and my Hubby get along fine. He loves cheese on Apple Pie. :-)

    Thanks for reminding me of the recipe, it made a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. angel, i just saw your recipe corner and will try one of the recipes, not sure what yet :-) will let you know, of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still trying to figure out what Italian recipe to post for you, Gina. I will definitely do one, just not sure what.

    By the way, the Spring rolls work real well during LENT! I have some in the freezer and grab a few (they are meatless) and run to work. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, lent. i never realize you are this multi-religioned chick :-)
    the bapao steamed bread also works with veggies and seem a lot of work at first, but when they're done and you put them in the freezer, takes just a few secs to either microwave or steam them.. and we're from the generation that doesn't mind putting in hours for or own convenience later on, eh?
    ugh. gotto get back to work now. dimskip's blog will have to wait a while, until i have time to dilly-sally over there. :-)

    ReplyDelete