Friday, March 7, 2008

Raising A Boy Child - Photographs And Memories


I have known that this was coming for several years. As a matter of fact, I had already told my husband that I had chosen a picture that I intended to submit, almost a year ago. At the end of each school year, the Air Force JROTC has an event known as the Awards Banquet. Family and friends of the cadet are invited to a formal dinner, with guest speakers and final awards being given out to the cadets. One of the things that will happen that night is a slide presentation of each of the graduating cadets. From birth through the JROTC. So on Tuesday night...I get the letter and start a look through the past. I only had a quick look through a few of the books, but something was immediately apparent. My child has been consistently him, from day one. Since I had to scan some shots for this presentation, I thought I would share a few here.












This was the shot that I planned to give them, a year ago.
It's his first air show. I think he was 1 or 2 years old.














His Underground City that he created and built on Spring Break, in 6th Grade. He put incredible effort into it, with no purpose other then his vision.











His Lego Submarine. A Christmas gift from my Dad and he wouldn't stop, until it was built. He had a Space Shuttle another year and the same thing went on.








My son has always had a special love of the Golden Gate Bridge. At age 4 we were watching this show about the bridge and he turns to us and says, "Why are you keeping me away from the Golden Gate Bridge?" To say the least, we were taken aback and began to plan a quick trip up to the Bay area. He has visited it many times, since that first trip and he even has the blueprint for the bridge up on the wall, in his room.

I also have a blue print that he hand drew of my house. So his love of drafting and yes, even The Military, has its origins, right here, in his childhood.






P.S. Not that this one has anything to do with the subject, I just thought the entry needed a younger picture, to up the cute factor. :-)
His fifth Birthday, pre-glasses. It was the only year I gave him a birthday party...pumpkin pinata and all.




============
Photo:
The top picture is
his design of a local park.
The City asked for input from
the the residents in the area
and my son was one of the
people who submitted a design.
He was 11, I believe and no,
his is not the final design for
the park. (Right click the picture
and check the details out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment