Week two of produce from the box and I had 2 vegetables to try.
The first one was Rapini, which is also known as Broccoli Rabe. The other was Red Beets, which my Husband loves.
Rapini is a bitter leafy vegetable that looks a little bit like Broccoli. I had it at my Dad's house many years ago and so I wasn't too worried about how to make it. I just figured I would make it as Mom used to make broccoli, sauteed with olive oil, black pepper and garlic. That ended up being exactly what I did and then I added some of my spinach, to cut down the bitterness a little. It turned out just fine. I definitely suggest cutting off the thicker stalks of the rapini, so that you have the tender parts. Serve warm.
The beets I had decided to roast in the oven. I was instructed to wear gloves as I worked (I used the plastic bag the beets came in). I cut the top and bottom off and peeled the outer skin off. Then cut into equal pieces and tossed with olive oil. I added some ground pepper, too. I laid them on a tray covered with aluminum foil and roasted in a 450 degree oven for about 40 minutes. I turned each one of them over, at the half way point.
Did I mention that I hate beets? Well guess what, these are great! Very sweet and so yummy with a little sour cream, to liven it up.
My Husband was so happy to see me eating them. Yay!


No comments:
Post a Comment