The daughter of a friend of mine was in the Country of Georgia recently and she mentioned something called Khachapuri. I (being the curious sort) put the word into Google and found out that I too could try this treat from a far off land, here in America.
There is an Armenian store called Zaatar Factory and Bakery about 5 miles from my workplace and it is actually right off one of the exit ramps in Burbank. So I decided to take a detour, on my way to work one day.
Something I did find out is that the store is called a Factory because that was the way of things under Communism. Both Georgia and Armenia suffered under that Government at times, and so even in America, you find hints of that old life.
So...what did I think of the Khachapuri?
Mine was so big, I should have cut it in half and brought the other half home. Instead, I was worried about the eggs not being good on a reheat, or the bread, for that matter and I finished most of it.
The cheese, which is under the egg, was very salty and that really ruined my day, more than the size of my lunch. Not a good idea to eat that much salt...lesson learned.
Otherwise it was interesting and I was glad I made the stop that day, at least to try it out.

It looks great, but a bit unweildy. The unbroken eggs demand that there is sufficient bread to mop up the yokes. I wonder if, it were made with broken eggs, it could be folded in half and eaten like a sandwich.
ReplyDeleteThat said, you had breakfast, and I only have a picture, so what do I know?
I guess I have to fly out to Santa Clarita to check this out :)
Ed: If you notice, they gave me a knife and fork and that was how I ate it. Cut pieces, not the whole thing held in my hand.
ReplyDelete