
Shortly after we bought our house, my Mother in Law and I went to the nursery to purchase a tree to go into a whiskey barrel. I had plans to place it right at the front of the house. I remember it so clearly, it was a beautiful day and we chose this lovely dwarf Meyer Lemon tree. I didn't know how it would do, living in a whiskey barrel, but it didn't cost us too much and I figured I would take a chance on it. The first winter, we had lots of nights where it got below freezing and I remember my husband and I covering it with a plastic trash bag, to save it from frost. In spite of that year and the year we had snow, our lemon tree has survived. I walked outside a few days ago and saw that the lemons are ready to pick. There have to be at least 15 of them. Pretty impressive for a 22 year old tree, that lives in a barrel. When you see the picture, please note that this is the time of the year that the tree loses it leaves a bit. In the spring, we will get new growth, new leaves and lots of citrus flowers. The smell is incredible and just a warning, the bees love the smell, as much as humans do.
I would recommend them to anyone. If you like the occasional lemon and want something that is easy to take care of, this is the tree for you....and there's a bonus. The squirrels don't eat lemons! Which is not the case with my other fruit trees.
Here is a recipe that I love to make occasionally.
It's from my friend in Phoenix.
================
Lemon Bread
Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening and
1 cup sugar
add 2 eggs slightly beaten
then add
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tea baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
Mix in 1/2 cup chopped nuts
and the grated peel of 1 lemon
pour into a 9 x 5 greased pan and bake at 350 degrees
for 1 hour
1/4 cup sugar
juice of 1 lemon
Mix together and pour over the top of the bread as soon as it is done cooking. Let cool. Then cut and enjoy.
And when your tree gives you lemons, you can always make.... that's right... wait for it.... it's coming... you guessed it... LEMONADE!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE lemons! We could use the bees, too. My husband has to artificially pollinate our whole garden, including the fruit trees. We don't have to worry about squirrels on our trees here in Las Vegas, just ANTS! Grrrrrrrrr! Maybe I'll convince Bob to let us plant a lemon tree this year. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteEd: That's a great idea. Lemonade!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I was going to serve one of them on Christmas Eve, with the shrimp. Oh well. :-)
Cindy: Yes, Yes, Yes!
It would go very well in your backyard and it would definitely help your plums and other fruit trees, with their pollination.
sounds yummy. we have cherries in the garden and prunes. i doubt whether lemons will work. we don't have the sunny in sunny cal :-)
ReplyDeletenice recipe. will try. will also post the spring rolls one asap
prunes, plums?
ReplyDeleteHey Gina!
ReplyDeleteI have Santa Rosa Plums, that are probably the best plums...unfortunately, the squirrels get to them first. I also have a Peach tree, a Nectarine tree and an Apricot tree. Then I also have 2 grape vines, Thompson seedless and Red Flame.
I know Cindy has some fruits similar to mine. I just can't remember which ones.
Yes, plums make prunes...but the squirrels can't wait for that. lol