Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pork Meatballs

I was offered Ground Pork for a very inexpensive price, from my Vons Club. Vons is a local market, owned by Safeway.

I had a little bit of pork left from when I made the Pasta alla Norcina and so I went looking for a recipe for meatballs.

I had no problem finding some and this one sounded the best, to me. You can see the original recipe HERE.

Since this was a pound of pork and I had the 1/4 pound of leftover pork in the freezer, it felt close enough for me to double the recipe.

I made my normal Italian sauce instead of boiling them in beef broth, but you are welcome to do so, as stated in the original recipe.

I also fried them in olive oil (again, as I do with a normal beef meatball). You can just drop them into the sauce, I guess, but my husband and I both agreed that they probably needed the browning to stay together in the sauce. By the way, they were a big hit in my house. Try them.

Pork Meatballs

Ingredients

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 slice bread, crumbled
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 pound ground pork
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth

Directions

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
Shape into ten 2-in. balls.
In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil.
Place meatballs in the broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Turn the meatballs;
cook 15 minutes long or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Remove with a slotted spoon.

Yield: 2 servings (5 meatballs each serving).

No comments:

Post a Comment