Friday, March 18, 2016

Sweet Potato Carrot Apple & Red Lentil Soup

Abundant Harvest Kitchen comes to the rescue again.

I received 3 potatoes, 5 carrots and apples on Saturday.

I had red lentils in the cupboard and while I was looking for them, I found wild rice and decided it would work well, in this rustic dish.

The recipe asks that you blend the vegetables, after they cook, but I decided to stick with rustic.

I added pork, that I had seasoned and fried in a fry pan, first. The addition of the pork, adds so much to the flavor of the soup.

Since I only had regular potatoes, I added some carrot juice, to sweeten up the soup.

It turned out great.

As made it is a great vegetarian lunch or dinner, mine is (of course) not.

Enjoy it either way.

Check out the directions and photos, HERE.

Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple, and Red Lentil Soup

Author: Carol Peterson

Recipe type: Soup
Prep time:
15 mins Cook time:
40 mins Total time:
55 mins

Ingredients

¼ c butter
2 sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
3 carrots, peeled, chopped
1 apple, peeled, chopped
1 onion, chopped
½ c red lentils
½ tsp minced ginger
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp paprika
4 c vegetable broth
plain yogurt

Instructions

Melt butter in large pot, place chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, apples and onion in pot. Stir and cook until onions are translucent, 10 minutes. Stir the lentils, ginger, black pepper, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and broth into the pot with vegetable mixture. Bring soup to a boil over high heat. Reduce and cover for 30 minutes.

When vegetable are soft, working in batches, pour the soup into a blender. Hold down the lid of the blender and carefully blend using a few quick pulses to get soup moving. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Can also use an immersion blender.

Bring soup back to a simmer over medium high heat. Add water as needed to thin the soup to your preference.

Serve with yogurt for a garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment