Friday, March 28, 2008

Riding The Rails - Union Station At Night


There is a whole different vibe at Union Station, after the main rush of commuters has past. I rarely stay late, because I don't relish the walk down the streets of L.A. after dark, but I took today off and needed to finish up work, before I could leave. Thankfully, my boss was talking with our boss and delayed just enough, that I could catch a ride to the station with her. I am normally in a hurry when I get to the station, but tonight I was early and I decided to get a snack to eat on the train. I walked into Union Station proper and immediately began enjoying the vibe. I have shown the interior before, but tonight, the sun was setting and after I picked up my snack, I took a detour out into the patio area. It was the lights, that had just come on, that drew me and others to the space.

I normally never see them lit. Union Station is a great example of Art Deco architecture, and I never tie of viewing it. It is just so beautiful. Graceful, clean, peaceful and uplifting, all at once. If you are a harried passenger, you can't help but be calmed down and enchanted by the spaces around the station. There are two patio areas, on either side of the main concourse, this is the patio on the right side. It almost has that English Garden feel of structured hedges and brick walkways.

After I finished my walk around, I packed up and headed to the platform where my train was waiting. The sunset had just happened and as a result, the sky was filled with beautiful, vivid colors.
So I stopped and caught a shot of that, too. I was in a much more peaceful place, as I stepped up onto the train, to finish my commute home.

No comments:

Post a Comment