
Recently, a friend on a board I hang out at, posted a You Tube clip of singer Justin Hayward, of The Moody Blues singing for the 30th Anniversary of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. My boyfriend at the time brought me to a planetarium (we believe it might have been the Vanderbilt) to hear and see a performance of the work and I even own the album. Looking back 30 years, I remember it had a laser light show involved and small sets ringing the sky part of the planetarium, a sort of low tech thing, but it gave the performance atmosphere. The highlight of the performance was the singing of "Forever Autumn" by Justin Hayward. My boyfriend had turned me on to their music during the time they had broken up and it was a bittersweet love affair with the group, since at the time there was no future works to come. But fall in love with them, I did and my love was rewarded with them not only reforming in 1978, but with this album coming out. As I watched the clip, I was reminded of that long ago night and I wondered how the concert on it's 30th anniversary was. But I think I will just stick to my memories of a low tech Lasarium show.
By the way, the song is very lovely and worthy of a listen, if you are so inclined. Forever Autumn Clip.
Hi Angel. I just emailed my Moodies friend, directing him here so he can read your commentary and move on to the YouTube clip if he hasn't seen it already.
ReplyDeleteI know I don't have The War of the Worlds album, but I was sure I must have "Forever Autumn" on one of my CDs somewhere. So I checked my musical database and sure enough there's a version on Classic Blue: A Collection of Classic Songs, Justin Hayward with Mike Batt and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
I haven't listened to it in ages, but no time like the present, eh? Thanks for the musical cue this morning!
Hey My fellow Moodies friend!!
ReplyDeleteI knew you would be interested in that clip. :-)
The video is only so so, from a broadcasters perspective, of course, but it does convey the feeling of the song and that is nice.
For your friend. Here's the clip of Justin talking about the songwriting muse and then a great rendition of The Voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KdSMMfUiaw
Enjoy.
Hi Angel!!!!!! I made it over here!!!! Yeah!!!
ReplyDeleteNow you see where I got my younger son's name from "Justin" He is our Big Max fan. I have that album (I still say album) he mentioned. It is an excellent album of JH's fav. songs.
If I ma not mistaken Mike Batt also directs the 3oth Anniv. of WOTW (the you tube you saw on my site). I think they go back a long way working together.
Well see you around the forums.
Love,
Robin
Hi Robin!
ReplyDeleteI clicked on the link and saw the cuts on that (album/CD/whatever) and it looks really interesting. Thanks for the second opinion on it.