Saturday, November 3, 2007

Learning to Fly...Santa Ana Winds Again


The forecast calls for mild Santa Ana winds this weekend, so lots of fire and choppers on alert here. Things are quiet so far, but I was concerned that the wind would give my son problems with his flying lesson. Ends up that it is blowing less in Van Nuys, then in Santa Clarita right now, so the lesson went on. We got to the airport and the teacher immediately gets my son to get the plane going, probably figuring that the sooner they get up in the air, the better chance they have of completing the lesson before any wind problems develop. As we wait for my son to do the pre-flight check of the aircraft, the teacher and I talk. I mention to him that my ex-boyfriend sent my family a book called "The Right Seat" and that I am reading it. It's a book for people who fly in aircraft, but are not pilots. You are taught some of what pilots are taught, so that if something happens, you can be of assistance to the pilot, or (heaven forbid) actually land the aircraft, if you absolutely have to. I am about a third of the way through the book (thank you ex-boyfriend) and some of the mysteries of flying have actually been explained to me. Like the biggie, if the engine dies, they are not going to fall out of the sky, the plane will glide and you can safely land it without the engine. What a relief and I am sure the valley population can now sleep nights knowing this. I am also learning about the maps they use to travel between airports and the information they contain. So the teacher mentions that he has done right seat lessons and that after my son Solos in a few weeks, it might be something that my husband and I would like to do. Learn the fundamentals in case of trouble. Something to think about, since I so want to fly to San Francisco with him someday. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment