Tuesday, November 10, 2015

40th Anniversary Of The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald

It is 40 years ago today, that the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. As I mentioned in THIS post, I was in school on the shores of Lake Ontario, when it sank. Being I was not getting much news, I did not know anything...until the song came out a year later. We at the school, totally identified with it...especially from these lyrics.

"Lake Huron rolls, Superior sing
In the rooms of her ice-water mansion
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen
And farther below, Lake Ontario
Takes in what Lake Erie can send her
And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
With the gales of November remembered" *

*Lyrics from Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I found a documentary that The Discovery Channel did on the wreck and I am linking to it HERE.

If you have time to watch, I hope it is interesting. I have not watched it as of this writing...but I intend to.

On a personal level, what this means to me, is that I started college at Oswego 40 years ago August. Yikes!

This photo, as I have mentioned before, is on the shores of Lake Ontario and it is called The gales of November remembered.

2 comments:

  1. It was very interesting to watch, I heard so much after listening to the song but to finally see & hear the story was well worth it. Thank You Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I watched the first 10 minutes (I had to get to work) and was totally enjoying it. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete