Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Billy Joel Songs Ranked From Last To First

I was born and raised in Hicksville, New York. Our one basic claim to fame...Billy Joel.

I have been a fan of his since Piano Man and I must say, his early work always spoke to me, because he talks of growing up on Long Island (Italian Restaurant, Great Suburban Showdown, Seen the lights go out of Broadway) or his years in Los Angeles (Piano Man, Los Angelenos).

My personal problem with this list of 121 songs is that the person who ranked Billy's catalog of songs, obviously had a different feeling for the songs, then I did. As a matter of fact, in the midst of the 80's and his obsessing about all things Christie, (Uptown Girl) Brinkley, I was longing for a oldies concert.

Well, look at the list and see for yourself, how your favorites stacked up. Billy Joel Songs Ranked From Last To First.

In the man's defense, in the top 20 songs, he chose 1 song from Piano Man, 1 song from Streetlife Serenade, 4 songs from Turnstiles and 6 songs from The Stranger (no surprise there, it was his break out album). That makes a total of 12 songs from what I consider some primo Joel. He didn't have a single song from 52nd Street, though Stiletto ends up at 22. A shame because I consider that album a wonderful followup and as a matter of fact, the closest one to the sound of Steely Dan. He even acknowledges that fact, in one of his reviews, Zanzibar (#67 on the list). Big Shot, a GREAT song IMHO, sits in a slot with 2 other songs from the same album (46-48 on the list).

Let's just say, all lists are subjective and this one definitely goes afoul of my taste.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you as far as we definitely have a diffent opition then the writer. We grew up with Billy Joel, since we too were from Hicksville. I am not sure were he grew up but some how the list is not my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the writer grew up in Jersey. What do people from Jersey know? lol

    ReplyDelete