We have been airing a really good documentary called 3 Nights, 3 Days: Endeavour's Journey Through Los Angeles.
It tells the story of how Los Angeles managed to get one of the Space Shuttles and how the deck was stacked against us, getting it through city streets for 12 miles. Of all the shuttles, it is the only one that had to make that kind of journey, over to the California Science Center.
We watched the shuttle's progression through the streets and our son actually spent a few hours in the Crenshaw District, watching it, up close and personal.
My Husband and I also visited it, back in 2012. You can read about it HERE.
I knew quite a bit about the shuttle, but this documentary really goes into the challenges the team had to overcome, to make that 12 mile journey.
The highlight, of course, was the moving it onto a dolly, to get the shuttle across the San Diego Freeway. Toyota, who funds the Science Center, volunteered to tow it and they did whatever was needed to make that truck successful at the tow.
If you have the time, you can view the full show, HERE.
It was well worth the time.

I remember when this was done. The ability to move the Space Shuttles to it's final Home. It was exciting to hear about it, but to see it must have been totally cool. I am really glad you were able to see some of it.
ReplyDeleteI loved when it happened and I am so proud that we are airing a show about that unforgettable moment in LA history.
ReplyDelete