Back in October, I went to the WCNY Open House and documented some of what I saw in THIS post. I took many photos that day, mostly of the true nuts and bolts of the facility...CentralCast.
Since I have a bit of time, I thought I would show it off.
Robert Daino, who I interviewed a few weeks after this day, explained to me that CentralCast's current plans are to run the signal of every station in New York and New Jersey. That is phase 1. In the shot I have, only 2 stations are being transmitted out of CentralCast, besides WCNY. WSKG Binghamtom and WMHT Albany are totally hooked up. The rest of them are in varying stages of set up and will be coming online over the next few months...or something. That is why there are workstations that have no signal at all coming into them yet.
Each "pod" controls and monitors 5 channels at a time. I am unsure if a station does not have 5 streams, does the operator monitor different stations streams at his work "pod"? I guess someday I will have to go back to see.
This next photo is of the Traffic Department and their cubbies. I took the photo so I could show off the difference between what our area looks like in Burbank and how WCNY decided to set it up.
I am not sure what I would want. What I have, or this design.
Here is the architect of the entire project, Oswego Computer Science Graduate and General Manager of WCNY, Robert Daino.
This photo was taken at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. He decided to not cut a ribbon, but instead plugged in the new facility. I thought it was quite funny.
The man is quite a genius and I found him a fascinating interview subject.
I hope he ends up making a difference in the lives of the people of Syracuse, as he wants to. He has a real passion for it and I hope he succeeds.



No comments:
Post a Comment