It's the end of Water Wednesday again! My last post on the canal locks.
We have reached the end of our journey, Lake Ontario, via Oswego Canal Lock #8.
We have traveled 23.7 miles, from Three Rivers (right above Phoenix, NY), to the mouth of the Lake.
This Lock, with its 11 foot elevation change, makes the final transition to Lake Ontario.
The City of Oswego has the largest elevation change for the entire length of the Oswego Canal...45.6 feet of change. Before they canalized the river, there was a steep set of rapids that roared through the town. No wonder the salmon loved this area and still return each year.
This lock was unusual because it was originally a siphon lock, the only one on the Erie Canal System. It didn't work so well, so they changed it to valves and it now looks just like every other lock.
Most of the siphon differences are long gone, though I found photos on THIS page. Check it out, if you are interested.
Oh, note in the first photo, that they keep a tug boat there at the start of the canal, to help boats with navigation through the system.
In case you care, the clouds in the photo...are caused by Lake Effect. :-)
I hope you enjoyed the journey.


You Know I always enjoy Water Posts, & as I said before I like the education I get with it too. :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you. Love learning about what I saw in Oswego. If I ever get back there, I have more to love.
ReplyDelete