I was extremely sorry to see that LA Fitness has been sued.
"The Justice Department today sued Fitness International LLC, also called LA Fitness, for discriminating against people with disabilities at its gym and fitness clubs. LA Fitness is the largest chain of owner-operated gym and fitness clubs in the United States, with nearly 700 locations across the country.
The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, alleges LA Fitness violated the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which prohibits public accommodations, including gym and fitness clubs, from discriminating against people with disabilities. The ADA requires LA Fitness to give people with disabilities equal access to LA Fitness’ services and facilities, remove architectural barriers to make its facilities accessible to people with disabilities and maintain accessible features. The ADA also prohibits LA Fitness from charging extra fees to people with disabilities."
You can read the entire article, HERE.
Our pool has been attacked by a disabled person, for the past few months. I do not know if he is the one who brought the suit, or if he is part of a bigger group who are disrupting our classes, but it had gotten pretty bad for us and mostly for the instructors.
He has deliberately tried to join our aquafit class, which has a tendency to attract 40 or more swimmers. Almost all of us, senior citizens.
He never has any help with him, and that is a problem, because he expects us to help him, if he has trouble.
Excuse me? I don't lift people at my age and I bet most of the others don't either.
I once saw him fall between the chair lift (that works) and his wheel chair. The young employee who was helping him, almost couldn't get him back up and into the chair.
I can see the club having a pool time for disabled persons, but having them disrupt our class, is not the answer.

No comments:
Post a Comment