Thursday, October 24, 2024

On The Eve Of The World Series, Fernando Valenzuela Has Died

Fernando Valenzuela has died at 63 years old.

Back in those early 80's days, I was a new arrival to Los Angeles.

I had my favorites, all New York teams, so I was not a Dodger fan, per se.

When the Dodgers played the New York Yankees in 1981, I am positive I rooted for the Dodgers, because rooting for the Yankees was, and is, unthinkable.

So, yes, I knew of Fernando, but not well.

I was very glad the Dodgers finally acknowledged his might, especially with their huge Hispanic Fan Base, by retiring his number 34, in 2023.

Earlier this year, he retired from doing Spanish play-by-play, due to some sort of illness.

Unfortunately, it seems he died from whatever that was.

Godspeed to you, Fernando.

Photo Credit, CBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment