Another post from the trip.
I mentioned the other day that we had passed Alpine, Texas on our way to El Paso.
We had taken on a bunch of Boy Scouts and their Leaders, when we stopped in Houston and so they traveled with us. Some were in our sleeping car and so they came to my attention. When they got off at Alpine, a wide spot in the road at best, I was curious. So I took another look at what was around Alpine.
It ended up being the gateway to Big Bend National Park. The park is located at a place where the Rio Grande River goes south for a while and then begins moving northward, it creates a bend in the Western area of Texas, since the state line is the Rio Grande.
It wasn't a big town, but it had more infrastructure then so many places we had seen on our way. Somehow, I expected to see a mountains with a ski area...but that is not what I saw. it was basically flat.
Many thanks to those Boy Scouts, for making me pay attention this time around.

No comments:
Post a Comment