Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Downbound Train Redux

We leave today via Amtrak, so I thought I would bring back a post from way back in 2008. Note, I had to rework the blog post, due to it being so old, but the link still works, all these years later. Enjoy.

------------------------------------------
Los Angeles has times of the day and times of the year, when fog is a normal occurrence. Many have heard about May Gray and June Gloom, which is the time of the year when morning fog becomes the norm, rather then the exception, but the Central Basin of Los Angeles, gets evening fog quite a bit throughout the year.

During the mid to late 90's I parked my car at Glendale Station and drove in the last few miles to work. Many a night I would be waiting in the dark for the train home and being that Glendale is directly adjacent to the Central Basin, the fog would roll right in.

So there I would be, me and a misty track, with the lights of the area filled with fog.

It made you feel like you were all alone in the world and more times then I want to talk about, the song that Bruce Springsteen wrote on his Born In The USA album, "Downbound Train" would be running through my head.

Being that I felt so alone in the world at that point, I would end up singing the song, while sitting on the edge of the platform and looking down those tracks.

The other day I went in search of this song to see if there was a You Tube Video of it. I don't remember seeing it performed when I saw Bruce (Twice) in 1985, but it obviously was.

I found a particularly good version of it from a concert of that era. Click HERE to watch.

Updated thought by me.
I am so glad I went and saw Bruce two times in 1985. He still performs great concerts to this day, but there was just something extra special about that "Born in the USA" tour. He, and his band, put on one heck of a great show. RIP Clarence Clemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment