I have been plowing through an 11 hundred page book on Robert Moses, called The Power Broker.
I am about 2 hundred pages into the book, and along came a map of Northern State Parkway (now called Northern Parkway).
The road was almost straight as an arrow, and having ridden on it hundreds of times, I know that this is not how it actually is.
I went looking on Google Images and here I found the original alignment, that Robert Moses created, along with what we got, when it was finished.
We had always heard that the Gold Coast residents who had huge estates on the North Shore of Long Island, gave Robert Moses lots of push-back on running a parkway through their land.
Here is the proof.
If you want to hear the details, go to this website. It explained a lot to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment