Thursday, August 7, 2014

Memes And Other Things Going Viral

If you remember back a year and a half ago, I had to design a Meme for my Social Networks and the web class and I wrote about it HERE.

A Meme is something that you see on Facebook. Think of the Willie Wonka one with Gene Wilder saying something condescending. Their function is to get shares and likes on Facebook and to ultimately "go viral".

Going viral means that something turns up all over Facebook newsfeeds and a meme is just one of many things that do. Multiple people will be posting it as a status. You may wonder why this is?

Well, a lot of the time (as with my meme) it is an assignment for school. You get extra points on your meme design, if you can get it to go viral.

I really feel that at the end of school semesters, we see even more of this stuff. Right now, I see videos that have "you won't believe what happened next" on them. These are drawing people in to get them to click on the video. Being I don't click on the videos, I am not sure if they are worth it. :-)

Another thing going around are word puzzles that ask you what word you saw first. What a waste of time and these obviously want the comments to be very high, not just "Likes".

Brought up by my friend the other day, as particularly annoying. Name some name that does not have a particular letter in it. I bet you can't. Seriously, people take the time to think about this easy question? Trust me, if it was hard, they would not put it up, because they want the comments!

The scroll on your mouse is your best friend. Don't get caught clicking, answering, "Liking" or commenting on any of these losers.

Photo is probably my favorite meme.

Makenna hates that duck! So the words actually fit.

3 comments:

  1. I know I am guilty of making things go viral, but
    I like doing the word finding, finally get Makenna something else to poise with besides a Duck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it clickbait.

    I appreciate a funny meme, but only in photo form. I don't want to have to click play to "find out what happens next" like all the Upworthy posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, you do what you want, but at least you know why (to a certain degree) these things are around.

    Shawn, Thank you for your identical opinion on some of these things. :-)
    I also hate 20 photos that you have to click through. (I forgot to mention that)

    ReplyDelete