It has been a few weeks since I found this recipe and I have no idea where I got it from. :-)
The reason for the delay was that what I thought was an easy ingredient to buy, is now a big deal ingredient. The crystallized ginger is no longer carried at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, due to some lawsuit and so I finally had to buy it via mail order, at Penzey's Spices. The ginger arrived mid-week and so I made it on Sunday morning.
If you are into things that are sweet tasting, this is it!
I was told that most of the vitamins in a carrot are in its skin and so you don't need to peel the carrots. So I just washed them good and went from there.
I also had a little bit of corn on the cob left over and I added it in, too. Why not? :-)
Definitely worth the hour or so, that it took to make it.
Awesome Healthy Carrot Ginger Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions (preferably sweet onions), diced
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4" slices
1 1/2 cups carrot juice
4 cups water
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cider vinegar
Combine olive oil, onions, garlic, gingers, 2 tsp salt, and sugar in large soup pot and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onions are softened but not brown (5-7 minutes).
Add water, carrots, 3/4 cup carrot juice, thyme, and baking soda.
Increase heat to high and bring soup to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat. Cook until carrots are tender but not overdone (20-25 minutes).
Remove thyme sprigs. Working in small batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth.
Return pureed soup to pot and add remaining carrot juice and vinegar.
Bring to a simmer.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Actually considering how much I enjoy "Pea Soup" this sounds very good. but I don't see me or Geoff making it, oh well :-(
ReplyDeleteEspecially since you don't have an immersion blender.
ReplyDelete