Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve

Even though I know that there are not as many California Poppies at the reserve itself, I took a day off to get up there before they are all gone.

A quick lunch and we were on our way up the 14 Freeway. Being that is the way most people go there, I figured I would have signage to help me in the back country and I was right.

About a mile before we reached the 11 miles we had to travel, we see all sorts of people pulled off on the side of the road.

We went with the flow and parked our car. The hillside was stunning and worth the stop. The photo down below is one of the ones I took at that site.

We then got back in our car and drove that final mile.

What we found is that they have the whole approach a no parking zone, so we pulled in and did a U turn. Hubby got out for a second and we almost got caught doing that, but we made it out without any problems.

We then drove about a half mile further down the road and got a photo of the hill in the Poppy Reserve. That is the top photo.

You can see people walking along the path (hopefully not trampling the poppies today).

It just did not seem to be worth it to us, to pay whatever fee was involved and end up in a long line of traffic.

At that point, I turned around and using a note I had written earlier (with some directions on it) we started driving home via the back roads.

It was half the distance and again, very lovely.

About a mile or so down the road I found another field of poppies and so I got a few selfies of me at that field.

Then it was off to San Francisquito Canyon Road, passing the dam site and power plants and we were back in our city and street and home.

A nice day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment