Guardian Angel Cathedral is at the very end of the Las Vegas Strip.
It is right next to the Wynn and Encore Hotels. I went to Church there last weekend and the building lived up to it's name. Lots of angels around the Church and the most beautiful stained glass windows, that I have ever seen. It was like looking at Marvel Super Heros, in the form of Jesus Christ.
One window actually had a Satellite Dish and some Vegas Hotels on it. I felt that the satellite Dish was put there, just for me. :-)

While we looked around and took photographs, a priest performed a Vegas Wedding. We were surprised that they would do such a thing, but I guess anything goes in Vegas.
The choir that performed for our Mass had not only singers, but percussion and a trumpet player. It was very beautiful to listen to.

Visiting Las Vegas and feeling like a little religious luck?
Check out this place, it is truly worth the effort.
It just occurred to me: The "wedding" you saw was probably actually the blessing of a civil marriage. This is the sort of ceremony my husband and I would have if we ever managed to get both of our first marriages declared null. It's usually just done in the rectory; what a treat for this couple to have their marriage blessed right in such a gorgeous space!
ReplyDeleteYou are probably right.
ReplyDeleteThe diocese of Las Vegas made it abundantly clear on their website that a quicky wedding in the Elvis Chapel, is not legal in their eyes. :-)
I just went back over to the website and they say that they will Witness a Catholic Wedding.
==
A Catholic Wedding for Visitors to Las Vegas?
Marriages of Catholics visiting Las Vegas are witnessed at the Guardian Angel Cathedral."There is no "quickie" way for Catholics to be married in Las Vegas. Catholic marriages (as valid sacramental union) cannot be witnessed in a hotel, casino, wedding chapel or outdoor arena in Las Vegas. Roman Catholics wishing to marry validly should be suspect of any so-called (roman) catholic priest offering such accommodations."
Hey Piglet, that makes sense. Wonder why neither Angel or I made the intuitive leap?
ReplyDeleteAs far as cathedrals go (and I've been to about 7-8), it's a weird building. At first glance, the artwork is distractingly bizarre. But within a few minutes, my brain let go of it's need for more traditional images, and I was able to appreciate the beauty of it.
Thanks again, Angel!
Yeah, the Church is pretty plain in its opinions on most things, marriage being one of them. ;-)
ReplyDeleteCindy: As to why you and Angel didn't make the leap and I did? Probably because neither of you has ever had to contemplate annulments and what happens afterwards. My spousal unit and I both have; we're both Catholic, both married the first time in the Church. I have a good case that my first marriage wasn't a sacrament (according to some tribunal experts I know), he doesn't, so we're kind of letting it go for the moment. It's a bit sad; of the ex-spouses, one wasn't Catholic/religious to begin with, and the other has left the Church. Oh well. Knew all this when I decided to get divorced, and still believe I made the right choice.
I'd love to see that cathedral someday. I love going into sacred spaces of all kinds when I travel, and has had some truly transcendent experiences that way. Angel and Cindy are both lucky to live where there are such a beautiful worship spaces as Guardian Angels in LV and Our Lady of Angels in LA!
I have been there numerous times!
ReplyDeleteYay, someone else that chose to find it. :-)
ReplyDeleteFWIW there is another RC church at the end other end of the strip - down towards Luxor, Mandalay. It is actually off the strip, but down that way.
ReplyDeleteIt was rather huge and auditorium like - I preferred the angels and the stained glass windows by the Hungarian (if I recall correctly) sisters. (as in blood sisters, not religious!)
Of course, my entire memory system could be off on the whole thing!
Yes, I know that Church. I usually stay at the Excalibur Hotel and it is right there at the exit light. I have actually always wanted to go to it and never found the time.
ReplyDeleteFound it!
Shrine of the Most Holy Redeemer which is actually on Reno Blvd and the Strip.