Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Church Brew Works, Pittsburgh, PA



Since it is Sunday, I thought I would bring you to a Church that is no longer a Church.

The building used to be St. John the Baptist parish in Lawrenceville, PA. Just across the river from Pittsburgh. Back in 1993 the Diocese of Pittsburgh closed the Church, due to lack of parishioners. They sold the Church and 3 years later, The Church Brew Works opened. When we were on our vacation, my friend from WQED brought us to lunch there. Unfortunately for me, I did not sample the beer, since I did not know the first thing about driving in Pittsburgh...but I really wanted to. :-)

As you enter the building, the first thing that draws your attention is the front of the church, where the beer is brewed. It is stunning, as you can see.



There is another area with vats over on the left side, as you enter the main part of the Church, which is just out of the shot in this second photo. You can see where the organ still exists and Choir used to perform, up in the balcony area.

The restoration is exquisite but you almost feel that this is somehow blasphemy, to have done something like this, to a church. I found that after a minute of two, I got over it. :-)

The food was wonderful, the company was first rate and the three of us had a good time.

I totally recommend it to any who go to Pittsburgh.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I have eaten at an Old Bank (with the safe) and Railroad Cars but never a Church. I can see the menu now:
    Unlimited loaves and fishes (breadsticks and Goldfish crackers)
    Water is free but turning it into wine or beer will cost you.
    I will leave before I'm exorcised 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me who someone will sell a building to. It looks very nice, but would I go in, who knows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom: I truly laughed out loud, when I read the loaves and fishes comment. :-)

    Martha: Yeah I think you would...and you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete