I mentioned him just a month or so ago. Jerry, the owner of the drug store with a totally cool soda fountain, has passed on. He was my Husband's first cousin on his Mother's side.
After their parents generation passed on, Jerry and his wife and family opened up their home each Jewish holiday, so that we would not grow apart.
He served on the board at the family Temple for years and even hired my brother in law, to lend a helping hand to him, during one of the many recessions. To say he had a big heart, is an understatement.
Their only granddaughter came late in life, but the past 2 years with her have been such an unexpected joy. You can see Jerry and his wife in happier times, at the baby naming of their beautiful Maisy, HERE.
The photo in this post, is a photo that was taken last year, when the family got together to see Anne Akiko Meyers perform at the Ambassador Auditorium. I love the way she was rubbing his newly bald head. The result of the chemo he was going through at the time. It is one of the families cherished images. In case you noticed...yes, that is me and my Husband in the background.
He will be missed.
HaMakom yenachem et'chem b'toch shar avay'lay Tzion vee'Yerushalayim.
ReplyDeleteMay the Omnipresent comfort you among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.
May his memory always be a blessing...
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful man and I'm sure he will be missed by many. At least he got two years to see his granddaughter grow a little. (There are at least two instances in my family where that interval was just a month or less.)
ReplyDelete(Yes, of course, I noticed you in the pic right away, which makes that shot even more special. I also recognized AAM too before I even read a word.)
When people ask why I blog, I think this day sums it up perfectly. I get so much more out of it, then I put into it. Ed (and Fran), thank you for words that I didn't know existed..but brought much comfort to me today.
ReplyDeleteDim Skip, my very good friend. I was thinking of Dan, as I wrote this. No matter how prepared you are for the passing of a loved one, it still is a shock.
I lost my Mom, when my son was about to turn 2 and I thank the lord for the fact that her last day on this earth, was seeing him and playing with him. I am sure, to her, that made a difference.
I am so sorry for you and your family. :-(
ReplyDeleteSorry we didn't get to talk on Sunday. I was pretty bummed out about it all. Thanks for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteIn Soda Revival, Fizzy Taste Bubbles Up From The Past
ReplyDeleteby Allison Aubrey at NPR
Dim Skip: Interesting post. Thanks for the history lesson.
ReplyDeleteProbably no one will come by and see this, but we attended the funeral last Sunday and Anne performed the song "Smile" on her beautiful violin. It was magnificent!