Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cowboys And Aliens



Spoilers abound. Don't want to know anything. High tail it out of here!



Once again, the Editor's Guild movie night comes through. This has been the most movies we have seen in any year. About 1 movie a month. Of course, the quarterly dues we pay to them, doesn't begin to be repaid...but what the heck.

Our latest movie was Cowboys and Aliens. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig star in this fight between the Cowboys in the old west, the local Indians and the robbers (who used to be led by Daniel Craig's character). Oh and finally, a woman who is not who she seems.
On the other side of this epic battle...aliens. One guess who wins. :-)

This is the second movie we have seen where aliens and some poor small human town have a mash up. Super 8 (which we saw earlier this year) has many similarities and Dreamworks had a hand in both productions. In spite of that, I enjoyed this movie. Daniel Craig is to die for (Oh James!) and Harrison Ford is always appreciated by this fan of his work, going all the way back to American Graffiti.

The coolest thing (for me) was when the alien ships appear on the horizon and they play the 4 notes from Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, that signify the arrival of the aliens. Just a nod to another work (and there were countless others) but this one spoke to me, since I am such a fan of WOTW.

Daniel Craig looked so much like Robert Conrad from Wild Wild West and this girl appreciated that, too.

All in all, I enjoyed it enough that I would have paid money for it. Thankfully, I didn't have to.

Oh and those aliens didn't stand a chance. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment