
Compared to New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, Los Angeles had no major problems on 9/11. There was a point where there was a missing plane in the air and its destination was to be LA, but thankfully, that did not occur.
I remember the day well, from the first message I saw on a Steely Dan Board at 6:30AM, to the endless day. First the commute into Downtown, with everyone in those high rises running home, to get away from that possible missing plane. Then running CNN most of the day and my President coming into our office and saying that he knew how hard this was to accomplish, but we had to do it...and we did.
I had friends in the area of the buildings, but thankfully, not family. All of mine were safe, but I am sure they carry their own baggage around, from that day.
10 years.
It feels like yesterday.
=============
Photo:
Is our local show,
airing on KCET beginning
on 9/7 and through today.
I thought the graphic
came out pretty well.
This is a perfect Blog for today. I have been watching the news since 3:30 this morning, and the one comment that keeps being repeated is 9/11- "we will remember" and we will :-)
ReplyDeleteA lot of comic strips published today are, of course, doing 9/11 memorial tributes. It's interesting to see the different approaches each creator takes. I usually like the more subtle variations myself.
ReplyDelete(Unfortunately too many to link to and the links would soon go inactive anyway. Sorry. Just check your local newspapers if you have any interest.)
Mostly I've been trying to avoid any coverage. My thinking is that obviously no one will ever forget that day (who could?) so I don't need or want to be reminded any more than the mere date reminds me. Plus it's still too painful (even though all the victims remain essentially anonymous strangers to me) to think back on and realize the devastation and fear that a mere handful of truly evil people (as evidenced by their actions, NOT their professed religion) could accomplish in so short a time.
I certainly mean no disrespect to the victims and please note I am not ignoring the day personally, just the inevitable media saturation coverage. I'm afraid it would be too much.
Never forget.
ReplyDeleteEven from the other side of the world...it seems like yesterday.
ReplyDeleteMay we always remember.
It was difficult, but I caught a few minutes of the coverage, to get the spirit of the ceremony. As Martha knows, we were on the move most of today...but I was glad that I had written this blog post. It felt fitting.
ReplyDeleteDim Skip: Thanks for reminding me about the comics. It becomes almost impossible while traveling, to keep up with newspapers. So I will indeed seek them out.
Suz: Glad to see you here, too.