I promised in an earlier post that I would show a few shots of Hanukkah at our house.
Just to get the party started, here's a shot of the dining room, all ready for the party. It came out particularly beautiful this year.
My son and his Uncle were on potato pancake making duty this year. Hubby had to work and came in as they were cooking. They were delicious and the large batch they made, was finished cooking at the reasonable hour of 6PM. They did a great job.
==================
This years menu was:
Small Braided Challah
Matzoh Ball Soup
Tri Tip Roast
Breaded Chicken Breasts
Potato Pancakes
(Applesauce and Sour cream for topings)
Cauliflower
Wine
Apple Pie for Dessert
Mondel Bread (Made by me)
Coffee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mondel Bread (My Mother in Law's Recipe)
1 Stick Butter
1 Tbl Oil
Cream together with
1/2 Cup Sugar
Add in
2 eggs
1 Tea Baking Powder
1 Tea Vanilla
2 cups Flour
1 package Almonds (or walnuts) Chopped
Mix Together and then divide into 3 parts. Shape into flat fat rectangles. Sprinkle with Cinnamon and sugar combined together and place onto a greased and floured cookie type pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven, then cool a few minutes. Slice each of the three rectangles about every 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch and turn the piece on its side as you do it. When all the mondel bread are laying on their side, they should look similar to biscotti, just smaller in length. Put them back into the oven to brown, maybe 5 or so minutes. Turn them onto their other side and brown it, too. Take out and let cool.
Enjoy, they are GREAT!
A few things I did different this year. I used some almond flour instead of just the cut almonds. I think I got it from Trader Joe's. It mixed right into the dough and did a nice job of adding flavor, but not making the dough too crumbly. I reduced the amount of cut almonds, due to adding this.
I also used no butter or margarine. I use canola oil for the entire recipe. It came out just fine.
========
For my friend Cindy, here is the recipe for Latkes.
Potato Latkes
6 raw potatoes peeled
1/2 Medium Onion chopped
2 eggs
matzoh meal to bind to the consistency of oatmeal
salt and pepper
Use the food processor on the potatoes and onion, until you have a fairly smooth mixture. Add the eggs and process some more. Add the matzoh meal until it looks like it will kind of stay in a pancake shape without running all over. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
Heat pan with oil and spoon 3 pancakes in the pan. Cook about 5 minutes a side. It is potato, so it needs to cook. When done, place on a paper towel to drain and then serve with sour cream or applesauce. Yum!
Hi Angel and Happy Hanukkah!
ReplyDeleteHow 'bout posting your recipes for your traditional dishes? Maybe I'll incorporate a little of your holiday into my Christmas dinner this year?
Hi Cindy,
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of putting the Mondel bread recipe here. I hope that helps. It got RAVE reviews from my co workers here at work. :-)
Hubby doesn't like it, which is why I rarely make it.
It's his Mom's recipe, by the way.
And the potato pancakes, too. I LOVE potato pancakes with applesauce and sour cream (not together, of course!).
ReplyDeletePlease give Roobaby a hug for me.
Miss you guys!
Finally, I added the Potato Pancake recipe. Enjoy! :-)
ReplyDelete