My Friend The Dimension Skipper has a link to the website of Comedy Writer Ken Levine. I have been reading it for the past week, due to his interesting content concerning the current Writer's Strike. Today, I actually broke down and posted over on his site. He is one of the writers of the series M*A*S*H, which was a show that I loved back when it was on the air. He actually wrote the episode about a serviceman who ends up wounded and is treated by the 4077 staff. It is one of the most remembered episodes from the series.
So I posted to him and recounted a story that is legend in the angel house. Back when I first came to LA, I moved into an apartment building in North Hollywood. It was a typical Valley complex, rectangular in shape, with a built in pool in the center and apartments surrounding it. The residents would spend the evening hours sitting around the pool talking. So one night shortly after my arrival, I sat down with the others and talked. This went on for several weeks and then one night the guy I was talking with says "I am going up to watch M*A*S*H, want to come with me?" Yes, it was the modern take on the come up and view my etchings line and if it hadn't been my absolutely favorite show (I didn't have a TV at the time) I would have never gone with him. Well 28 years later, the rest is history. M*A*S*H may not have brought us together, but it cemented the relationship.
So I am watching BBC News today and they have a story on The Writer's Strike and they suddenly are discussing blogs and things that are getting the writer's viewpoints out to the public and they interview Ken Levine! I couldn't believe it! My first thought was "Oh no, I just posted over there...ACK!" lol
It was very nice to put a face and voice to a name. Younger then I thought...maybe he WAS 4 when he began writing for M*A*S*H...(you need to see his post on ageism, to understand).
Check him out, when you have a bit of time. It's worth a look.
========
Photo Credit
This was the sight I came home
to on the night of my 25th
Anniversary. My Hubby works
at Walmart and he brought home
these 2 posters from his store.
He did up one from him and one
from my son. It made my day.
Neat. Ain't it funny how folks who initially connect for one thing—Steely Dan—so often tend to end up with other little seemingly coincidental likes, sometimes more than might seem statistically probable... One might even label the phenomenon "synchrodipity."
ReplyDeleteAnyway, glad you're enjoying Mr. Levine's blog, but it is kind of up your alley TV-industry-wise—even before I knew of the special personal M*A*S*H connection for you—so I'm not really surprised.
Mr. Levine did have a pic or two of himself et al on the picket line a little while back. Until then, I'd never seen him either and, yes, he does look younger than I would have imagined (for such a veteran writer). Maybe laughter really is the best medicine. LOL! (Hmm, I feel better already just from that "LOL."—LOL!)
I like that he posts daily—except for rare special circumstances—on a variety of topics, but doesn't take himself too seriously most of the time. Guess that's part of why he's been a great comedy writer.
Hey, I even went back to his most recent M*A*S*H post and checked out your comment, Angel. Cool. I've posted in response to his bloggings on rare occasions myself, so maybe we'll cross virtual paths there once in a while too...
Hey Dim Skip!
ReplyDeleteI just got a phone call from my friend from Florida and we are picketing on Thursday with The Unit writers. A change from Friday. I am impressed, if nothing else, that she is coming out to do this.
Thanks again for your varied interests that connect in weird and cool places, with mine. it makes life a bit better place.
ha, first time i hear about how mr Angel got folded underneath your wings :-)
ReplyDeleteneat story indeed.
saw some of a British show yesterday by chance, never really tune in for it but saw it a few times now, the Graham Norton Show. he is a bit tacky but people love it, has many American guests too who LOVE to be there and so obviously have a good time. Like the guys from The Dukes of Hazard?
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=graham+norton&search=Search
there is stuff on YouTube.
anyway, he had this David Boreanaz guy yesterday, who plays in the Angel (!) series, Buffy spin-off? he is in another show Bones? they were talking about the Writer's Strike too. oh had Sharon Osbourne was there as well, quite hilarious episode.