Got the word yesterday that The Unit has been replaced with Big Brother 9 in the CBS midseason schedule. Now I realize that there is nothing much they can do, they have no more new shows to air, unless and until the Writer's Strike ends. What bothers me so much is that they pre-empted the show every time they could and so almost no reruns were aired last year. It was a prime opportunity to get more viewers who might be looking around for a quality show, while their main programs are in repeats. Instead, we get Big Brother 9. It's a shame.
I called over to Santa Clarita Studios where the production office of The Unit is currently located and I was told that next week is their last week open. Unless a miracle happens, I think this might be the end of the show. I am so disappointed.
TitanTV is still listing a new episode (titled "Side Angle Side") for December 18, but that seems odd to me. Since it's been off for a couple weeks now, why air a new episode at the height of the winter consumer season?
ReplyDeleteWith the strike and all, I almost expect the listing to be simply a mistake (which is not unheard of). And they give no details as to what the episode may be about. (The zap2it listings agree, but also give no ep details. I suspect they all get the same info from the same source, though.)
If it's true that the show is likely kaput (and honestly it won't surprise me since I believe it gets middle-of-the-road ratings), that's a shame---especially since I only recently hopped on board.
And yeah, other shows I've liked have often been treated in similarly shabby ways. Where you or I see potential for grabbing new loyal viewers by maintaining a stable time slot presence, I guess the network suits just see raw numbers. Then again sometimes it actually seems like they're deliberately trying to kill a show.
Of course, I realize that closing down the production office doesn't necessarily mean there aren't still some new eps "in the can" for airing in the new year...
ReplyDeleteFrankly, when the new eps of scripted shows I like run out, I just simply won't watch TV---except for PBS, of course.
Reality shows? Nah. Not for me. If I wanted "reality" I wouldn't be watching TV in the first place because if it's on TV, it ain't reality. Again, PBS excepted.
;-)
As I mentioned on Gina's site, this is indeed the final episode that was shot as the strike began. They mananged to finish it, so it will air on the 18th. The British MI5 are featured in this episode, so it should be a good one. Too bad it looks like it might be the last.
ReplyDeleteha. we like to watch Spooks, a British series about spies, MI5... just look for it on the BBC pages... Nino watches more TV than i do, but we love good detectives and series like Spooks that have decent plots and storylines, things that could actually be happening in our world...
ReplyDeletealways awful when something you enjoy watching ends...