
I happened to read the local paper yesterday morning, since I was driving in late to work. One of the top stories was this one about my City wanting to change the name of one of main roads through the area. It bothered me so much, that I actually emailed the people mentioned in the story and a City Council Member. I immediately received a reply from the Council Member and a City employee, which I appreciated. Especially since it was the last work day before another holiday. That's the good part.
Unfortunately, the bad part is that I think that any "Public Meetings" that go on early next year, will just rubber stamp the changes and that resident input will not stop these wheels of change from happening. Being I am a long time resident, I have a problem with erasing a major road's name. But who am I...obviously no one.
The City employee very nicely explained that the Downtown Newhall area wants a freeway exit leading to their area of our City. They have recently made the road in Downtown Newhall a one way road named "Main Street", with "back in" parking on both sides and no more through traffic at all. It's a pain, but we live with it. What they intend to do is change the name of the southern part of San Fernando Road to Newhall Ave and then connect it to the current Newhall Ave. Fine, I guess I can understand that too, since that section of the road does connect with State Route 14 and would give them their Newhall exit. What I don't understand is them then proposing to take out the other SEVERAL MILES of San Fernando Road, by extending the name Bouquet Canyon Road. Why? The best explanation I can come up with is, just because. That is just mean spirited and costs the businesses that currently have that address, money. Obviously, these people and The City do not consider that a issue, probably because the road is sparsely occupied by businesses on this stretch, due to a river on one side and a rail road track on the other.
Back in 1980, when I came to this tumble weed infested corner of Los Angeles County, San Fernando Road was the ONLY way to get to the upper center part of the area. It was a lifeline and I am so sorry to see them treat it so badly.
Whatever...
No comments:
Post a Comment