
When we are at the Farmers Market, we passed a display for the Gilmore Oil Company.
I had heard of a baseball field called the Gilmore Ball Field, but never oil.
I went to my favorite place, Google, and found one of the most interesting links, belonged to a friend of mine. Debbie lives right in that area and she wrote about Gilmore House and the Gilmore Oil Company. You can read about it here.
The Gilmore's had many firsts here in the West Coast and the shadow box display shows off some of it. They have both the Red Lion and the Blu-Green grades of oil in a gas station display. Interesting that the pumps have colors above the actual pump, to show off the grade. I never saw anything quite like that.

As mentioned in articles they had the first Gas-a-terias, they had a race stadium and the ball field I remembered. They were quite the thing, in the day.
Being an East Coast girl, I remember nothing of this...but I did see that ball field on a show we air on my station, called Things That Aren't Here Anymore.
Besides the Farmers Market, the fields now house the infamous CBS Television City lot.
On a personal note, it has the distinction of being one of two studios I have picketed in my TV Career. :-)
I enjoyed my time exploring a almost forgotten part of LA. It's always a nice thing.
Yes Angel, this is a interest piece of L.A. :-)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed it.
ReplyDelete