Monday, April 5, 2010

Super Bridge



My Water Post For Today.

The year was 1997. My son was 7 years old, when a show called Nova aired a program on the building of the Clark Bridge over the Mississippi River. We got totally caught up in the trials and tribulations of building this bridge. I swore that someday we would visit the bridge, but had no idea how. Little did I know that within a short amount of time, I would have to attend a Conference in St. Louis, Missouri. The bridge is only about 10 or so miles north of that city. So I cut out of a session early and we set out on an adventure. My family took a ride to Alton, Illinois and crossed "Superbridge". We were surprised how small it was in real life. Everything in LA is so big because we have to deal with lots of traffic. This bridge was a 4 lane bridge. It's bright yellow in color and it is a cable-stayed bridge. Something we had never seen before.

It was a wonderful time and such an unexpected thing, because being an East Coast native, we rarely get to the middle of the country, when we go on vacation.

I hope you enjoy a look at the mighty Mississippi, from below Superbridge.

3 comments:

  1. How bad was you hit last night? I wanted to call last night, But Geoff felt the lines out their would be too buzz? So what happen are are all of you OK? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty, though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true. There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty, before the last revolving year is through." -- Joni Mitchell

    He's a good kid. Give him my best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are totally fine here. Mitch felt it and he goes, "Cathy!". For some reason I don't totally understand (I was walking the chicken out to the bbq, so I was in the kitchen at the time) I KNEW that what he was saying meant he felt something and I looked at our chandelier and it was moving quite a bit. That was it. I didn't feel a thing. Austin got a call from his duty sergeant making sure he was OK. Heaven forbid Government property get damaged. :-)

    Ed: As for the boy, he is doing well this semester (so far). He didn't subscribe to World of Warcraft and his grades reflect that. As to who he is inside...that has never changed. In his spare time right now, he has been tracing things on Google Maps. His mind is always curious...may that never change. :-)

    ReplyDelete