Thursday, April 29, 2010

Public Servants Who Don't Follow Their Own Rules



This one came at us, out of left field.

We uplink the BBC World News 7 times a day at my TV Station. We make the show available to the entire PBS System, by doing this. The show comes in from England and we retransmit the signal (with the addition of our open and close) onto the PBS Satellite.
It's a complex piece of business that we have been doing for almost 2 years now. Most days, there is no real problem...

Yesterday, the Senate Finance Committee held hearings on Financial Reform and the Chairman of the Committee used the "S" word at least 4 times in the sound bite that everyone ended up using on the air, that evening. Being England does not have the "archaic" rules that we have, they aired the profanity as news and thought nothing more about it. We uplinked the show and promptly found out that those words had passed through their gatekeepers. We quickly ran to an edit bay and deleted the words for not only our air, but to give any stations that still needed it, another uplink. Unfortunately for us, that didn't help the East Coast stations that went live on the air with that show.

What gives a United States Senator the right to break the very rules that were put in place by the Federal Communications Commission? Both are parts of our Federal Government and the least this Senator can do, is is obey the Government's own laws.
We hold other public figures to that same rule (right Janet Jackson and Bono)?
Why not him?

Thanks so much for adding to our profanity misery, Senator.

Can we call you as a witness, when we end up in Court?

4 comments:

  1. The answer is YES!!! would he go? the answer is NO!!! Sometimes I really wonder what is the world turning into, oh well :-) Try to have a good day anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, Louise. Sometimes these guys are just boneheads.

    Of course, I've never understood why it's OK to broadcast somebody being beaten or shot or strangled or stabbed or otherwise violently interfered with, but is NOT ok to broadcast the occasional glimpse of boob or fail to bleep out an "S-word" or "F-word" (neither of the B-words get bleeped anymore, nor does the A-word; who decides these things?). I'm far more put-off by the violence and sexual stereotyping (in both directions) that I see all the time on TV than by the unedited films I see on the Independent Film Channel or some such similar (through our satellite company).

    Grow up, America. Or at least be consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piglet: The who would be the FCC.

    As I have commented before, I am so not the person to be gatekeeper for obscenities...I use them all the time in my personal life. lol

    Martha: I will try to have a good day, in spite of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Angel if nothing else, I will have a good day since you have given me a good laugh!!! :-) Keep laughing I do love you.

    ReplyDelete