My Water Post For Today.
I needed a vase to hold the freesias that I picked on Saturday. I didn't find anything to hold something so delicate and so I went up to the very top of my cupboard to see if anything would work and there I found an old vase of mine. This vase is so old, that I can tell you the day it came into my life.
It was December 13th 1983 and I had the great privilege to accompany a good friend and my family, to enjoy a Dinner with Julia Child. This vase was the centerpiece at our table and I was able to take it home with me, after the event.
Honestly, I have not seen it in several years and it needed quite a cleaning, before it was worthy of the freesias, but isn't it beautiful, holding the crystal clear water on my bay window?
I have a Julia Child rose on the side of my kitchen and it is a similar lemon yellow color, so it is fitting that the freesias that are in it are mostly the same general color.
I hope you enjoy a little bit of springtime...and Julia.

Cute, but not a water post sorry.... :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! Hmmm, who am I to challenge your sister, but there is indeed water in the vase and you had to use a lot of water to clean the vase. Hmmm again, but maybe Martha is right?! :- )
ReplyDeleteWow, did the freesias overpower the water? :-)
ReplyDeleteRegardless of semantics... I love the photo as well as the story attached to it.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure many people would say to take the vase to Antiques Roadshow or offer it on eBay or some such, only thinking of monetary value—of which I have no idea for something like that, could be only $50 for all I know—but I say the real value is in the experience/memory, of which the vase is a priceless tangible reminder.
Ah, Dim Skip, my friend. Glad to see you back online. :-)
DeleteYou are right, I would NEVER give my vase away. The event cost $35 a ticket and for my family and friend, it was money well spent. Julia was just incredible and I seriously miss her love of life and of course, her love of food.