Many decades ago, I moved to Los Angeles. I was 24 and crashed at a friend's apartment, for a short period of time. She lived on Burbank Blvd, in North Hollywood.
I thank her to this day, for not being in Hollywood, because it is not a nice place to live, at least apartment wise.
So when I began my search for somewhere to call my home, I obviously searched in North Hollywood, but I also looked in adjacent Burbank. I don't remember much about where I may have been searching, but I obviously remember the place I ended up renting and where I met my future Husband.
The only other place I made a trip to see, was just outside the front gate of the Warner Brother's Studios.
At the time I went I was not aware of the extent of the apartments in and around the Media District but since I now work here, I do see a large part of them, especially as I walk down Alameda Ave. You can see a few of them in my photo, with the many Warner Brother's Buildings in the background.
They all seem to be post WWII buildings and most are of the same basic design. Nothing fancy and many tenants in each building.
Most of them don't seem to have much in the way of amenities, either. No pool like at my building and I don't know what kind of parking they have. Mine had carports on the bottom level and as a matter of fact, I could see the carport a little, from my room. My car and my future Husband's car were directly under my apartment.
I don't remember the exact location of that long ago apartment, but I do remember glancing down the street and seeing the gate of Warner Brother's. There are several Warner Brother's Gates, so that doesn't help. The other thing I don't remember, is how much it would have cost to rent it. The one thing I am pretty sure, is that it wasn't cheap. My rent was $185 for my Studio Apt, so I bet because of its location, it was probably more. I obviously turned it down or I didn't even bother to go inside, because I have no memory of seeing an apartment's rooms. I think I may have felt it would have been too noisy, with lots of traffic. I was probably correct in that assumption.
I wonder if I would have attempted to get a job at Warner Brother's, had I rented it...

Too many questions, you made the right choise. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhen you walk down the street, you have nothing to do but think. Yes, the one thing I can absolutely say is that I did make the right choice of apartment. :-)
ReplyDelete