It is the height of the fig season and I can't believe I did this, but when I missed my opportunity to buy some figs at Abundant Harvest Organics, I ended up seeing some at Trader Joes and bought 2 lbs.
Thus, Sunday was jam making day.
I used my recipe in my iPad (since I now own my cookbook) and cooked up a batch in about an hour.
Easy peasy and so delicious.
Ingredients
3 pounds fresh figs, washed, stems removed
2 cups granulated sugar
Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
In a large saucepan, combine the figs, sugar, and lemon juice and zest. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and continue simmering, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens. When the mixture gets quite thick, begin to stir constantly to keep from scorching.
While figs are cooking, prepare the jars (I used pint jars) and lids, according to box directions. In case you don't have the current directions, this is what I do. I put the glass jars in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, when they have been boiled enough and keep jars in the water, until ready to use.
Fill the jars with the hot fig jam mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads with a wet paper towel. Place lids on jars and then screw on the rings. Place in the hot water and (if needed) add enough hot or boiling water to bring the water level to 1 to 2 inches above the jars. Bring the water to a boil for 10 minutes.
Take them out and then screw the lid on tighter, when they have cooled a bit.
Put in the cupboard, or refrigerator. Enjoy on toast, English muffins or bagels.
Yum.

No comments:
Post a Comment