While researching this post, I found out that the 2nd Battle of Bull Run occurred on August 29th and 30th of 1862. That means it was 153 years ago today, that the battle was fought. The first Battle of Bull Run was in July 21st of 1861, so I missed that anniversary, since I was still in New York City at the time.
My first question when I began my research was, why were their 2 battles of Bull Run? What made that area so important?
Well, it ends up that the very mode of transportation that I was riding on, was the reason for the battles, as I read HERE.
Manassas was an important railroad junction. As a matter of fact, the supplies that fed and re-armed the Union Soldiers, came along those tracks from Washington DC.
Both battles were Confederate wins and Union losses, though both sides lost many men.
This is where General Thomas J."Stonewall" Jackson got his name. The story goes like this: "Jackson's nickname was first applied to him at the First Battle of Manassas on July 21, 1861 by Confederate General Bernard Bee. Inspired by Jackson's resolve in the face of the enemy, Bee called out to his men to inspire them: “Look, men! There is Jackson standing like a stone wall!"
Losses were 5,000 in the first battle and 25,000 for the second. That means that 30 thousand men died in this area of the United States, over 3 days of fighting in 2 separate battles.
My family drove through areas of Virginia, while camping and we passed battle fields several times, but children don't feel the history as much as adults, I guess. Honestly, as soon as I saw this sign, I could feel the men and I became very melancholy. More on that, another day...

No comments:
Post a Comment