Monday, September 8, 2008

Analog Bites The Dust in Wilmington, North Carolina


As the analog shut off marches to its February 17, 2009 date with history, a city gets any early taste of what's to come.

Wilmington, NC starts the analog shut off today!

They will be the first test market to shut off analog TV, in anticipation of the February 17 shut off of the entire analog frequencies in the U.S. I hear that only the PBS station will be left on, to direct people to the information they need to get their TV sets adapted, so they can see the other stations. They also are going to use the PBS station to give the residents information, in case of another hurricane coming ashore by them. They just weathered Hanna, so they wanted one station left, just in case.

Good luck to the residents of Wilmington.

Edited to add a link to a Los Angeles Times Article. Check out the picture of the switch. lol

4 comments:

  1. Watching and waiting. And wondering how it will all work . . .

    I'm sorta pretending it ain't gonna happen. I have cable, but no boxes. Maybe it's time to cut TV loose. Imagine how much time I'll have to watch reruns of The Unit on DVD and current episodes online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have cable, Cindy, you should be just fine. No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim Hart, our digital transition "friend" at the Washington Post, reports on how things went...

    Wilmington Verdict Is In

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, been keeping my eye on the results, too.

    LA is going to be particularly vunerable to problems that viewers have around mountains. They block signals at the best of times and I truly believe it will be a nightmare, come the digital switch.

    ReplyDelete