There's a beauty to watching what's going on at Van Nuys Airport at night. You see things you don't see during the day, but being this is a small airport, it's also DARK at night and trying to figure out anything, is difficult at best. I am positive this is the very thing my son was learning last night when he and his instructor took to the skies and flew over to Santa Barbara. Finding an airport is not easy at the best of times, but lose your visual cues and it gets tougher. It was a beautiful evening, the crescent moon hung over the airport tower (Ramadan just began yesterday and the moon reminded my husband and myself of that fact). Not much in the way of traffic and so when the plane did its run up to the top of the taxiway, it was basically all alone. They waited for a plane to land and then off they went. The trip took 3 hours and so my husband and I waited at Denny's and had a bite to eat. We parked back at the airport about 15 minutes before they were due to return and they didn't show until almost 30 minutes later. The flight went well, Santa Barbara Airport was found and they did a full stop landing and then took off again. My son told me later that they then flew to the much smaller Santa Ynez airport and also did stop and go landings there. He said that the runway is so small that they had to land, taxi and then take off again each time. The teacher wants to work on my son's logging skills, next time we get together. He fills out an entire form pre-flight that mentions times miles and visual cues and the teacher wants to make sure everything is up to speed and right, since the next Cross Country by my son will be SOLO. Ack!
I am angel -- Your blogger hostess since 2007
Wife to a wonderful guy who shares my life and "sometimes" even my interests.
Mom to an adult son, who is an Electrical Engineer for General Motors and lives in Michigan.
Broadcasting was my day gig for 39 1/2 years.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Learning To Fly - Night Flight To Santa Barbara
There's a beauty to watching what's going on at Van Nuys Airport at night. You see things you don't see during the day, but being this is a small airport, it's also DARK at night and trying to figure out anything, is difficult at best. I am positive this is the very thing my son was learning last night when he and his instructor took to the skies and flew over to Santa Barbara. Finding an airport is not easy at the best of times, but lose your visual cues and it gets tougher. It was a beautiful evening, the crescent moon hung over the airport tower (Ramadan just began yesterday and the moon reminded my husband and myself of that fact). Not much in the way of traffic and so when the plane did its run up to the top of the taxiway, it was basically all alone. They waited for a plane to land and then off they went. The trip took 3 hours and so my husband and I waited at Denny's and had a bite to eat. We parked back at the airport about 15 minutes before they were due to return and they didn't show until almost 30 minutes later. The flight went well, Santa Barbara Airport was found and they did a full stop landing and then took off again. My son told me later that they then flew to the much smaller Santa Ynez airport and also did stop and go landings there. He said that the runway is so small that they had to land, taxi and then take off again each time. The teacher wants to work on my son's logging skills, next time we get together. He fills out an entire form pre-flight that mentions times miles and visual cues and the teacher wants to make sure everything is up to speed and right, since the next Cross Country by my son will be SOLO. Ack!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know the instructor wouldn't even consider it if he weren't ready. I know your son is a careful pilot (from all you've mentioned here in your blog, but ... YIKES! I don't think I could handle the strain and my fears for him. What if a meteorite falls? What if there's a freak storm? What if . . .
ReplyDeleteNevermind...I'll keep the rest of them to myself and send along only my good wishes and positive thoughts!
I wish you had called me. I would have come over to Dennys and visited with you.
ReplyDeleteCindy: Actually, 2 other students have soloed in the past week, so I guess that's a good sign. The instructor said they come in bunches like that.
ReplyDeleteMeteorites...uh, thanks a lot for more to worry about. lol
--
By the time I even thought about where you live, it was 10PM and we were going up Balboa. I pointed out the park to Hubby, as we passed it. My bad.
The thing got canceled something like twice, so I was totally not into making plans this time around.
Glad this Cross Country trip is over.