Saturday, November 8, 2008

Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder


Back in April we were privileged to visit Nellis Air Force Base and tour The Thunderbird's Hanger. At the time we were invited to return to see the home town airshow, that the Thunderbirds put on for Nellis.
Here it is, 7 months later and yes, we are going to see their Air Show. Minus one of my "Other" sons (sob) and minus Hubby who has to work.

Report when we return.

2 comments:

  1. Since Angel is still out to breakfast with her son and other son, I'll jump in with a comment.

    Their day started well before dawn at 0 dark thirty as they hit the road to Vegas. They made great time, arriving at the LV Motor Speedway before 0900, just in time to join the line of Air Show fans queuing up for security check.

    I was about 45 minutes behind as I took care of a few errands. They set up camp near the tail feathers of the Red Bull plane, close to the T-birds hangar. I arrived in time to see the T-birds running their engine check. I distributed hearing protection and we settled in to watch a B-52 flyover--how cool was that?

    This was followed by several displays of aerial magic from our NATO allies (Belguim and the Netherlands) flying their F-16s, a pair of American pilots in a screaming F15 Strike Eagle, and a heritage flight featuring a P51, F15 and F22 (The Raptor). Some of America's finest AF cadets performed some fancy parachutist tricks. And moments before the USAF demonstration team began their ground show, a group of approximately 30 USAF recruits took their enlistment oath. I got a little misty-eyed, saying the words with them, as it was 28 years plus one day from my own enlistment in the Army.

    The T-birds closed the show with their display of aerial virtuosity, a real testament to the air superiority of our country.

    Thanks, Angel and sons, for a fantastic day. Safe miles to you on your way home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy: I truly couldn't have reported it any better. We had a great time with Cindy and were glad we went.
    I too was mouthing the words to the oath the recruits were saying. I know it so well, not because I have ever said it...but because my "Other" son #1 said it almost 1 year ago today and I posted it at my desk at work, to keep him in my thoughts.

    The Oath Of Enlistment:
    I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. (So help me God.)

    ReplyDelete