Saturday, November 1, 2008

Who Want's Cake?



Halloween started with a weird rainbow. I happened to catch this photo, when I turned away from my pond, after feeding the fish. I always feed the fish in the morning, before I go to work. So I grabbed my camera, took a few pictures and went to work happy.

I thought it was a good omen for the day of my son's birth. :-)

Our celebration was just a low key family thing. My Brother in Law and his girlfriend were scheduled to come up after work. I ordered take-out Chinese (my son's absolute favorite food) and had it ready for pick up, when my husband drove by. My job was picking up a special birthday cake from The Phoenix Bakery in Chinatown. I had one of these cakes about 10 years ago and decided that if I ever had an occasion good enough to go to the extra effort, I would order one. I felt that my son turning 18 was worth that extra effort...and I was right. You should have seen everyone's eyes, when that cake came home with me. :-)




So we ended up eating chinese food. Opening a bottle of wine to toast the birthday boy and congratulate him on becoming a MAN. I said that it had been a pleasure raising him. At which point his father commented that it had been a long sometimes hard road, having to put up with him and then my son said, "But I had to put up with you!" His father shook his head in agreement and we all got a good laugh.

A little later we cut into that cake and yes, it was worth the 20 minutes I drove from Hollywood, to Downtown Los Angeles. Strawberries and whipped cream with white cake and almonds. Totally excellent!

We finished the evening, sending in an application for a credit card for him. Finances always rule with that child. :-)

Happy Birthday baby boy. Mom loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment