Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Treat For Passover - Matzo Brei



I asked my Husband if he could make some Matzo Brei during Passover this year. We have nice new Matzo and he has more time then he used to, when he worked. He decided to make some today, since it's Saturday. I am good with that, especially since then I didn't have to make breakfast. :-)

Matzo Brei


1 cup raisins soaked in orange juice
7 matzo broken up and soaked in water
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla
salt and pepper to taste

When you remove the matzo from the water, squeeze out all the excess water. You want it moist, but not water logged.
Drain the raisins and discard (or drink) the orange juice.
Combine the eggs and spices and then add to the bowl with the matzo and raisins.

Stir until combined. Heat a fry pan with some oil and then using a 1/4 cup measure, drop the batter into the hot fry pan, pushing them down a little, until they lie flat. Cook on side one until brown and then turn and do the same for the other side. Place on a paper towel to drain and then eat, plain or with maple syrup.

Yum!

This recipe makes approximately 18 matzo brei.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, we only had 1 1/2 sausages so we split them between us. It isn't even one whole one.

    Hubby says I should have photoshopped it out. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morty's recipe: http://www.greenberg.org/archives/140

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed: Thanks.
    I learned something new. Some don't eat broken soaked matzoh, during Passover. A shame, because Matzoh Brei is just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete