Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wade's Diner: Oswego, New York

As some of you may know, I spent 4 days in the town of Oswego, New York. My college is on the west side of the town and that was where I lived, too. West 8th Street, to be exact. Well, over on the East side of town was a place that I never went to while in college, called Wade's Diner. It was a reunion a few years later, that brought me to Wade's. A run down place. Nothing fancy, but good food. It reminds me of our local diner, The Saugus Cafe.

I decided to have breakfast there, my first day in town. The menu tells the story of the diner, which I had never read. You can read the history of Wade's Diner HERE.

I read about the raisin bread, baked right there at the diner and so I ordered my breakfast, to include a slice, as you can see in the photo.

I also read that you could buy a loaf of bread for $4. I had 3 more days to live in town and so I figured I would buy a loaf. Well, let me tell you, that loaf was just HUGE! I ate raisin bread for many meals, over the 3 days and at the end, I still had 4 slices left. So into the trash they went. I was heartbroken, but I was about to fly out of Syracuse and I didn't have the room for them. Sigh...

In other interesting things about their breakfast, they thin slice their potatoes. If you look close, you can see that they are different from hash browns or home fries. I really liked them this way.

I was not as happy with my cheese omelet. I don't know if it was the cheese that was salty or the scrambled eggs that had salt put in them, but I left part of the omelet. I will know better next time...if there ever is a next time.

In kind of good news. I can order their raisin bread online. I am not sure if they ship them and how much it would cost to get it, but I might actually inquire.

If you are ever in the area, check out Wade's. A local landmark, in Oswego, NY.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... Wade's.... I am dreaming of breakfast! And you never went in college?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran: Yeah, I don't remember going to Wade's until Anne Riggs brought us there.

    ReplyDelete