2 weeks before I leave.
It was all on the news this week. It has been 10 years since the opening of The Gold Line to Pasadena.
The dates to Discover Gold were actually July 26th and 27th 2003. My son was 12 years old at the time.
I went digging into my old photo albums (the last one before my home went all digital) and found our photos of the opening.
My Husband was working that day and so just me and my son managed to take the free ride weekend.
This first photo is at the end of the line, Sierra Madre Villa in Pasadena.
It has the Discover Gold sign on it and I thought it should be at the top of this post.
A nice stranger took this 2nd photo. It is of the two of us and was taken in the Union Station tunnel area.
By this time we had waited for hours, snaking through a line in the parking structure.
We were minutes from actually boarding the train.
As you can see, we were sweating that day, since it was a typical hot and humid summer day.
The third photo gets down to business.
Here is The Gold Line loading and unloading passengers.
Our turn is finally here. Woot!
The final photo was taken from the train. There he is, the happy rider, enjoying a trip through Chinatown, Highland Park, South Pasadena and Pasadena.
It is probably the most interesting ride, since no freeway goes through some of these places.
We keep hoping to live to see something done about this atrocity, but somehow I don't think it will happen.
Maybe my son will someday get to ride from the I-210 to the I-710 and visit his old school, Cal State LA.
Happy 10th Anniversary Gold Line. We love having you around.




It looks like a fine day was had by all, YEAH!!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, but you have to want to be inconvenienced. It was crowded and a long wait. Sometimes though, it is worth it.
ReplyDelete