You may ask what this is a photo of.
It was taken back in 2009 and this is the upper San Fernando Valley area, just before you reach the Newhall Pass.
I took this photo, from a plane, by the way. :-)
The water you see right down below, is the Upper Van Norman Reservoir. That is the water that comes all the way from the Sierra's, down the Central Valley and arrives via 2 aqueducts, to this dam. The water is then sent to the homes and businesses in Los Angeles. One of the many ways that Los Angeles is allowed to have so many people. If it was up to us to live with our God given water, we would still be a rancho...seriously.
Anyway, the dam has a history. It holds all our imported water now days, because there is something called the Lower Van Norman Reservoir. The Sylmar Earthquake took that out of commission and so they built this little one above the old one. The old one is left empty (just in case there is another Earthquake). It will hopefully hold the water, if the Upper Van Norman Dam fails. I am sure the San Fernando Valley appreciates this fact.
It is actually the only water I pass on the way to work and it always makes me happy.
I hope you enjoy.

Yes it does, besides the color of the water, and the area all around it. I like it because it makes you smile :-)
ReplyDelete